replacing CD drive

If you encounter any problems with your CD-i system or have difficulty operating some software for CD-i then post your problems here. With help from the CD-i community and the vast resources hosted on the CDinteractive network we should be able to solve any trouble your experiencing.
Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

replacing CD drive

Post by Shroo-man » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:57 am

The CD tray in my 220 broke a short time after I just got it. It had a problem to close automatically so each time I had to forcefully nudge it to close it. After a few times of having to forcefully close it half of the disc tray somehow snapped. Surprisingly I can still play games and also it can close automatically now but I have to guide it in otherwise it will get stuck on the outside.

I want to fix this problem though and I think replacing the drive is the best solution. I saw this website http://codeflux.com/mods/sleeper/part1.html which shows photos of someone dismantling their 220 and putting in a new drive, new motherboad, new leds, etc. Unfortunately it wasn't very informative so I have a few simple questions -

1. How can I open my 220 without having to grind or drill the screws?
2. What CD drives would be compatible and do they have to be 1x?
3. If I had a working CD drive from a 220 unit would replacing it be straightforward like a PC?
4. Does anyone have a spare working 220 CD drive (maybe from a faulty unit) they would be willing to sell me?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:32 am

something like this ;) ?

I grabbed this pic from the internet, but maybe it's actually your player ;)

There was a similar type of problem going on in this thread, maybe it can help you. Some are offering spare models on ebay for a few bucks, which is nothing else than a broken player.

I'm not sure how to open it without removing the screws, but what's wrong with opening the screws? If the mechanism is working, maybe just something is in the way that gets the tray stuck. And when you open it, you may see a small piece which is the cause of it.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:27 am

yes that is a photo of my player.

That thread doesn't help me though because I want to replace the whole CD drive. The door closing thing isn't a problem anymore. The problem is my broken tray I want a normal, working non broken tray so I want to replace the CD drive.

I didn't say I wanted to open it without removing the screws I want to know how to open it without grinding the screws (like in the link i posted). More specifically what type of screwdriver do I need to open those screws? I'm not sure because i've never seen that type of screw before. Not ironic because its not philips head ...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:15 pm

hmm, maybe i read that post too fast then. What type of screws are used? I don't own a 220 so I depend on the info posted!

But don't you save yourself a lot of time and effort by just buying a different player on ebay for 20 bucks?

gtdalby
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by gtdalby » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Take a pic of the screws and post it here I guess.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm

unfortunately its not that easy for me because I live in Australia. I had to pay $90 USD just for postage to get my current player. thats why if someone could send me just a cd drive from a broken 220 it would cost me a lot less.

Shroo-man
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Shroo-man » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:26 pm

I've just found out they are torx screws, it was just a simple matter of looking it up on wiki. now i just need to know if it would be safe to replace the philips CD drive with a PC one? can I damage my CDi just by putting in an uncompatible drive?

lwizardl
Burn:Cycle Activated

cd-i 220 drive

Post by lwizardl » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:51 am

I have a philips cd-i 220 with the digital video cartridge but it refuses to read any discs. I get the menus on the tv fine it just doesn't see the discs both audio, video, or games. any ideas? and what screw driver bit is needed to open it never found one to match

James

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Re: cd-i 220 drive

Post by Bas » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:26 pm

lwizardl wrote:I have a philips cd-i 220 with the digital video cartridge but it refuses to read any discs. I get the menus on the tv fine it just doesn't see the discs both audio, video, or games. any ideas? and what screw driver bit is needed to open it never found one to match

James
In your case it's most probably a dead timekeeper battery issue which you can read more about here