Rastersoft project demo available for CDi

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Rastersoft project demo available for CDi

Post by cdoty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 am

The CD-i version of the next project demo is now available from:
http://www.rastersoft.net/project/

Like the Jaguar version, the demo is interactive.

This version only has one character on screen. The second character would require the support of different height sprites, which isn't in the code currently, and would be made obsolete by the sprite compiler.

This is a very early demo, and doesn't represent the final game. The game will probably take awhile to complete. The goal would be to release the game in Jan. 2008, but this is a very optimistic timeline.

I told you I would be back! :)
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 pm

Great news, that could start the next CD-i hype already! I knew you'd come back, but it surprises me you're back so fast! Does that mean the Dreamcast version Frog Feast will be one of the last Frog feast games? Has the time come for a new round of Connaone conversions?

I'd love it. How about the level design? How about the first person perspective levels, I wonder how CD-i would handle those :D

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Bas wrote:Great news, that could start the next CD-i hype already! I knew you'd come back, but it surprises me you're back so fast! Does that mean the Dreamcast version Frog Feast will be one of the last Frog feast games? Has the time come for a new round of Connaone conversions?

I'd love it. How about the level design? How about the first person perspective levels, I wonder how CD-i would handle those :D
There's one more handy system that could see a Frog Feast port. :)
But, that's probably the last one.

Right now I'm only planning on the fighting sequences, making it more of a Street Fighter 2 clone. I'm not sure about the rest yet.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Hey, and how about that Frog Feast 3D thing? Is that a real game project?

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:21 pm

Bas wrote:Hey, and how about that Frog Feast 3D thing? Is that a real game project?
I have most of the 3D resources for it, but nothing else has been done.
Last edited by cdoty on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:23 pm

But does that mean you're going to release different games during a same time period? Or is Frog feast 3D just meant for some specific consoles?

Excellent colourful game by the way, I'm sure Connaone will get a high score in the eyes of CD-i's fans: We don't have a lot of fighting games except for ROTR!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:40 pm

I just downloaded and tried the new CD-i demo of Connaone. Great! It's small but it shows a lot of potential: The graphics are very nice and colourful, much better than I've seen in Frog Feast! You can only walk around with one character and there's only button one moving a finger. Small, subtle but qualitative and good looking. I want more! I'll put up a video if I have a little more time...

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Bas wrote:Small, subtle but qualitative and good looking. I want more! I'll put up a video if I have a little more time...
Yep, it was something quick to show that the game could possibly work on the CD-i.

Now, I need to sit down and work out the actual details of the engine and create the needed tools, including the sprite compiler.

Also I think the date cited, by The Underdogs for this game, is incorrect. This game was around back in April (maybe May) of 1996.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm

Excellent work Charles! :D

I tried this out through DOS after playing your CD-i demo, so I have a rough idea what the game is like. It certainly has potential and should be more playable than the DOS version which seems to suffer via DOS emulation. You mentioned that the new CANNAONE will be a Street Fighter clone rather than a straight port of the original. Will you be adding more content as I for one kinda like the idea of these mini-game sections. Perhaps with elements of platform and puzzle action?

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Devin wrote:Will you be adding more content as I for one kinda like the idea of these mini-game sections. Perhaps with elements of platform and puzzle action?
I'm not sure at this point. Right now I'm focusing on the fighting stuff, as this seems to be the biggest part of the game.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:02 pm

This is really great news! :D

I really enjoy Frog Feast and now have a new game to look forward to in 2008 - can't wait.

Hi to everyone at Blackmoon, I hope you are all well.

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:58 pm

Alan_Eng wrote:This is really great news! :D

I really enjoy Frog Feast and now have a new game to look forward to in 2008 - can't wait.

Hi to everyone at Blackmoon, I hope you are all well.

Alan
Hi Alan, good to see you once in a while! We're all ok, as you can see here CD-i is far from dead ;)

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Alan_Eng wrote: I really enjoy Frog Feast and now have a new game to look forward to in 2008 - can't wait.
I got a step closer last night, as I was able to verify that my sprite compiler was generating working data. This should make any additional games a lot faster, or I can draw more objects.

I've got a few more ideas to tie into the sprite compiler, which should squeeze out a little more performance.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Which other consoles will get Connaone soon? Or is it just CD-i and Jaguar right now?

cdoty
Frog Feast Dev

Post by cdoty » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Bas wrote:Which other consoles will get Connaone soon? Or is it just CD-i and Jaguar right now?
Yep, only the CD-i and Jaguar at the moment.