What is your most wanted new feature in Cd-iEmu

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Bas wrote:Windowkiller, seriously, when you're a programmer you should know how irritating it sounds when kids post stuff like that... Now what is your intention? Demanding more updates? I expected more of you...
See, that's exactly what I meant when I said that people don't seem to like when I (or others, I guess) just post my opinion without taking care of being polite... Now we are kids, we are irritating the programmer, etc. How dare we? :oops: But hey, it's much easier to say nonsense like that than actually reacting to valid criticism, isn't it?

And you expected more of me? That's a childish answer and has nothing to do with a serious discussion. But it seems to be a common reaction when someone criticizes something - going off-topic by starting to flame and to rant. Anyway, there was no intention behind my post, apart from expressing my disappointment.
Last edited by WindowsKiller on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:08 pm

No problem, Bas just likes a good old fashioned argument :wink:

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:30 am

Let me make a final response. I promise to end with technical (more or less) stuff :lol:
WindowsKiller wrote:First of all, please don't take the following words as an offence.
Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. See below.
WindowsKiller wrote:Seems like you got your money from all the people and don't care about your product any longer. Really a shame.
Would be a shame if true, yes, but it provably isn't. That you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. Would I be reading and responding here if I lost interest?
WindowsKiller wrote:Bottom line: I can't recommend anyone wasting money on this "emulator".
Are you really surprised to people's reactions if you use words like wasting and sarcastic quoting like "emulator"? I have a pretty thick skin (probably from reading this and other forums for a few years) but it sure as hell felt offensive to me.

Anyway, let's get back to the technical stuff.
WindowsKiller wrote:... but seriously, how long does it take to add something like keyboard support? 5 minutes, 10 minutes maybe - unless your code is badly structured.
You hit the nail right on the head here; I have already explained that this particular bit of code has indeed become badly structured by too many adaptations to specification changes. It needs refactoring and I don't feel like investing feature time until that is done. And even then it certainly wouldn't take 10 minutes, a whole evening looks more like it, considering the number of configurations and test scenarios.
WindowsKiller wrote:Any company providing such non-existing support for a commercial product would have long ran out of clients...
This is exactly the point; I am not a company and CD-i Emulator most certainly isn't a commercial product (if either of these were the case, you'd have to pay much more, certainly not less: software companies routinely charge several times the purchase price of CD-i Emulator per hour spent on a project).

CD-i Emulator being a hobby means that I have to like what I'm doing with the project; therefore mundane (to me) tasks like keyboard support will tend to get postponed until they are the only thing holding up a shiny new release. And that needs one or more somewhat major features or bugfixes; several of them are in the works but none are even near being finished.

Of course, I also tend to somewhat underrate the importance of this particular feature: most games are much much nicer to play with either a joystick (which CD-i Emulator does support, albeit somewhat clumsily) or the mouse (which it supports quite well, I think).

Open sourcing the emulator might fix part of the problem, but it certainly wouldn't help with the core emulation issues as nobody that I've had contact with seems to have the required in-depth technical knowledge of the CD-i system or even the drive to get it. That would tend to limit the contributions to the outer fringes of the project and thereby put more constraints on the core work. Pardon me for being selfish, but I'm not going for that.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:11 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:See, that's exactly what I meant when I said that people don't seem to like when I (or others, I guess) just post my opinion without taking care of being polite... Now we are kids, we are irritating the programmer, etc. How dare we? :oops: But hey, it's much easier to say nonsense like that than actually reacting to valid criticism, isn't it
It seems like you don't have a clue what you're posting. I'll rephrase my post from the last page: As long as people behave, criticism is fine. And you know damn good what I'm talking about. Now please don't make it worse than it is and if you want to continue this conversation just send an email (especially when it goes as far as 'personal rants' ;)

Nitrosoxide
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Nitrosoxide » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:52 am

WindowsKilelr Cd-i fan still is as of now actively working on the emulator. However, in the past year the main delay was his first child was born. The guy actively posts on the cd-i fourms still and actively responds to any questions asked about the emulator or cd-i in general. So, to me I think he's doing the best he can.

The guy has been nothing but a godsend to the cd-i community and he has never shown anything but enthusiasm for the project. So, i don't know why you'd say that he is trying. He does come here and respond to any concerns anyone has, and has offered help and told you why he has yet to implement certain things.

While there is no keyboard emulation, they at least is joypad support. Which is much more important to me anyways.

While the emulator does not support all games, it does support some fine titles. I mainly bought it for using the apprentice, and this title in particular plays great. As does Wand of Gamelon, the Faces of Evil, and Super Mario Wacky Worlds.

Burn Cycle doesn't work.. but, it was released on PC as well as Cd-i.

I think everyone responded to your own criticisms and gave you fairly reasonable responses. Let the guy work on his project the way he see's fit. Even if the emulator costs money now, there eventualyl will be a free version.

The cost, as I see it, is simply a way of saying thanks for the hard work, as in its current state the emulator is quite functional.

WindowsKiller
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Never mind, things won't change anyway. I've already wasted 25€, I'm not going to waste time as well with a senseless and childish discussion. Perfect example of how to destroy a once promising emulator.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Why do you want to offend? Why?

I can't believe you. You sound like a spoilt kid. You're even bashing CD-i Emulator on other forums!

It's time for a lock before you can't control yourself anymore :(

Like Nitrosoxide sais: cdifan has been nothing but a godsend to the cd-i community and he has never shown anything but enthusiasm for the project.

Windowskiller, you should be ashamed of yourself.