Any update on DVC compatibilty??

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
mattirawks
Burn:Cycle Activated

Any update on DVC compatibilty??

Post by mattirawks » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:20 pm

New to the forum, loving ya work guys....

Just one burning question to anbody,

is there anyway of DVC compatibility happening any time soon with the emulator???

cheers

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:48 pm

There's no announcement, although cdifan hinted a few times he's working on it. How fast that goes obviously depends on the difficulty, as cdifan told us before from the start he had no idea of the time this project was going to consume. Considering the original CD-i Emulator took 5 years to develop, you count the days when you can expect DVC emulation ;)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:09 am

I have basic register and data decoding working for two of the three DVC models out there (GMPEG, VMPEG, IMPEG) and am getting the MPEG data streams from the drivers. But they need to be decoded and properly merged with the standard audio/video streams of the CD-i player.

Video decoding is difficult because the hardware uses a "push" model instead of the "pull" model used by most existing codecs. This can be solved but it requires some pre-decoding and buffering trickery.

Video merging is likewise difficult because the drivers expect to control the frame buffering directly, using a hardware frame fifo (in YUV format) with over half a dozen registers per stage, not all of which I understand yet.

And let's not even speak about all the slow motion, jumping, seeking and synchronisation issues that also need to be solved eventually.

Audio is much easier to handle but somewhat pointless without the video counterpart. I know of only a single game that would benefit from MPEG audio without MPEG video (can anyone guess?).

Nitrosoxide
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by Nitrosoxide » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:24 pm

That sounds awesome... lol but can anyone explain that in lamens terms?

I.e. You seem about 45% complete maybe?

But, either way good job!