CD-i Music ripping

CD-i Emulator is the first fully evolving windows compatible emulator project of the Philips CD-i system. Discuss the emulator, compatibility issues, seek help and support to get the program operating and post what you'd like to see in future revisions of the program. CD-i players ROM (BIOS) requests, begging and links will not be tolerated. Otherwise feel free to post your thoughts on this amazing new piece of software.
Duiz
Burn:Cycle Activated

CD-i Music ripping

Post by Duiz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:29 am

Hey

I am wondering about the way CD-i games plays music. Many other game systems have support by music players to play it's music (NES has NSF, SNES has SPC), and opening the cd-i games i have found a sound file with the extension .rtr

Is there any known way to extract or stream the music contained in rtr files? I don't know if all CD-i titles use this file type, but the ones i have checked do, and many games have interesting soundtracks that would be great to access to.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 am

It's certainly possibly to extract audio from CD-i real-time files (which is what the .rtr files are), but not really very easy. I don't know if there are public tools in existence.

Of course CD-i Emulator contains all the necessary functionality and I will probably release a stand-alone "CD-i File Player" at some point.

2awesome4apossum

Post by 2awesome4apossum » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Would said CD-i "file player" let one convert the files to a format that would make them useable outside of the player? Or is that something that completely uninterests you?

(In example, convert a .rtr to a .mp3?)

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Yes it would support "exporting" files, but probably not to mp3.
It would export to 16-bit PCM wav and probably a few native CD-i formats as well.

Kao
Softech Recruit

Post by Kao » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:38 pm

I know you're extremely busy, but I just wanted to express my interest in the rtr file extraction/conversion you mentioned. If you find the time to implement that functionality, I'd be thrilled!
It's like 1993 all over again!

cdifanatic6223

Post by cdifanatic6223 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 pm

You can get the whole Tetris CD-i soundtrack here.
It was extracted from the game disc using the tool PSMPlay (used for extracting Playstation 1 music) and converted to MP3.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:14 pm

no links to stuff like that :evil: