cdi artical in retro gamer

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
rupert
Burn:Cycle Activated

cdi artical in retro gamer

Post by rupert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 am

nice artical, read it on the bus this morning. loads of info that i didnt know. well done.

one comment, I dont like how retro gamer dislike forum users in general. they have made a few comments in the past few issues, im not going to quote each one, I just dont see why they feel the need. (perhaps they have good cause for this and are reffering to forums I havnt been to).

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 pm

Black Moon is featured more than once in Retro Gamer, what is the last one about? It's a pity Retro Gamer isn't sold here. What do they say about forum members?

Perhaps it's the same as *certain* forum members don't like journalists, because the latter often create a whole different story from the given material, which is a shame as it *may* put the console in a different mood than how it was supposed to....

For RetroGamer to publish CD-i material is ofcourse a big PLUS!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:17 am

I enjoyed helping John with that piece in this months RetroGamer.

For those that haven't seen it yet, this is a 'RetroInspection' of the CD-i platform. A full 6-pages about CD-i combining interview material John accumulted and also alot of research from Black Moon. I did 2-pages which feature the 'Perfect Ten Games' except for the 10th 'Link/Zelda' entry that John wrote. Then we have 2-pages of screenshots from no less than 87 CD-i games! So a HUGE 10-Page Espose on CD-i which is really cool. John did a great job weaving all the commentary together, it's an excellent article.

Also helped with the 'Emulate This' 1-page article all about CD-i Emulator. So it really is the Philips CD-i Edition of RetroGamer!

This was all for the love of it as well... for free in other words :roll:

One last word, when John mentioned the forum users it was simply to express the 'common misconception' continually regurgitated by people because they read about it on-line. It's not something they drew from personal experience or actually investigating a topic. The constant battering Hotel Mario gets is a good example when actually it's a rather good game. So he's not victimising 'Forum Users' but just painting the modern equivalent of Chinese Whispers!

rupert
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by rupert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 am

yeah it was fantastic, i really enjoyed reading it. it could have been a few pages longer for me, I was suprised there wasnt abit more said about how many CDI machines there has been as it's an unusual format in that respect. I might have to get a couple of the games mentioned as I may have ovelooked them in the past :wink:

I have noticed the forumite's comments in a couple of issues, i just thought it was abit unnecessary. The other 2 forums I use are great, really friendly people and if there is any incorrect info posted then it just gets corrected or debated, rarely argued.

GAMGATOR2000
Softech Recruit

RetroGamer the Philips CD-i Issue

Post by GAMGATOR2000 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:35 am

Nice work Devin & John! :shock:

http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/uimages/RG_032.jpg

Keep CD-i Alive! :twisted:

gamgator2000

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:17 am

Hey Devin, ordered this through Retrogamers back issues.. and have to say, great work!! Very long, informativem, great screenshots, loved the top 10 games (though not necessarily agree iwth them all).. and great job on getting all those screenshots! Good job!

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:11 pm

I did the top 9, the last which I think was the Zelda games was Johns choice!

It's your work with Silas that really made the article to be honest. John really did a great job using your legendary SMWW material :wink:

Glad you liked the pretty pictures, did you spot the easter egg that nobody has found yet within the 87 screenshots? Reminds me, has anyone scanned the emulator page for CD-i Fan to read? Been meaning to show him the first hard published article about his baby.

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:29 am

Easter Egg.. not yet! Gonna take another look soon!
Yeah Silas was a great source, it's a pity he's not among us any more..

Let's keep the good stories coming :-)

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Hey Devin, that easter egg.. it wouldn't have anything to do with your obsession for apprentice cheat codes.. now wouldnt it?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:02 pm

I've spent some time looking for an easter egg but no luck! How small is it ;)

I can make a picture of the emulator page if you need it, let me know.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:28 pm

Merijn wrote:It wouldn't have anything to do with your obsession for apprentice cheat codes.. now wouldnt it?
Ehhh... no! :D

It has alot to do with John though, all in the appearance... or a close fit at least :wink:

Merijn
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Merijn » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:02 pm

Oh yeaaaaah.... got it:-)

thomas
Softech Recruit

Post by thomas » Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 pm

i just received that issue in the mail. yeah, a bit late, but it was GBP2.00 on ebay, and i am slowly catching up with back issues of RG (Only got the complete run of the 'first' 18 issues of RG (Live Publishing))

Anyway, in the online box, it states that Famicom was the first console to go online, which is, of course, totally wrong. VCS and Intellivsion were the first to go online (1982). VCS with the famous US-only Game-Line modem, which later became AOL. They (he) should have known that.

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Thu May 31, 2007 7:18 pm

I would like to read the entire article but the back-issues are sold out :-(

Anybody willing to scan it and mail me?