I2m card: CD-i to PC

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

I2m card: CD-i to PC

Post by Bas » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:26 pm

on ebay

great thing, it makes me wonder.... how does it work? does it have a Bios like normal cd-i players? Does anyone have this card?

Erronous
CDinteractive Moderator

Post by Erronous » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:16 pm

It's a CD-i system on a PCI card. Software and drivers are loaded from the PCI host, including the bios. It's plays CD-i discs directly from the host cd-rom drive, from the hard drive (I think even in windows file system) and from ISO's. I have one such card, it can be unstable at some times (the overlay feature IIRC), but otherwise it works great. At this price I wouldn't hesitate in buying one :).

cdifan
CD-i Emulator Author

Post by cdifan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:29 pm

I think the cards themselves do not have any on-board ROM; the Windows driver software for it (several versions are available from ICDIA) seems to include all the CD-RTOS modules normally included in a CD-i system ROM (a.k.a. BIOS).

I plan to make it working with CD-i Emulator at some point...

Several years ago I've played with this card, but it was notoriously difficult to get working and I no longer have access to it.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:18 am

I have an early ISA version CD-i board and probably the driver software floppy as well which I need to dig up for you CD-i Fan!!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"