The Black Moon Monthly Column - New

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Bas
CDinteractive Admin

The Black Moon Monthly Column - New

Post by Bas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Just-in-time....

relocated to http://www.blog.blackmoonproject.co.uk

This will be implemented in the BMP site even more, but you'll see the changes shortly. The November edition has just been uploaded.

Questions/remarks? Let me know here...

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:52 pm

So the independent voice of CD-i was launched!! :shock:

Great introduction Bas, I look forward to reading what future stories you have cooking :idea: the new layout looks terrific as well.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:11 pm

yeah, i deleted the 'Black Moon leaves you shaken and stirred'-part quickly

a tad too much :wink:

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:26 am

This looks really nice!
I'm still in a clinch about the legality of the name itself,
As long as I'm not a company, or try to register this domain name as a trademark, nothing is wrong.
Compare it to fan circle websites, e.g. www.bmwclub.com, which isn't owned by the BMW Group... The general rule in trademark issues is that you aren't allowed to create any confusion. If my name were Philip, and I'd be selling CD's, but only CD's starting with the letter i, and I'd call my company Philip's CD i, THAT could cause confusion. :)
But a great newsletter. Will it be sent to a mailinglist, or is it up to us to check the blog monthly?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:05 am

i've never thought of it that way, a mailing letter may be a future extension... Let's see first if there is an interest for that.

Philipscdi.com
CD-i Site Admin

Post by Philipscdi.com » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:44 am

There is! There is! There is!

:)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:07 am

Enjoy the December edition here

(Press Ctrl+F5 if the old one is cached in your memory)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:30 pm

A truly imsightful read Bas, I have to admit i'm a late starter when it came to appreciating the work from Creative Media. Recently I picked up Tetsuo Gaiden making extraordinary use of the Digital Video as a scrolling backdrop to the on screen action. The effect is quite impressive. Whack-A-Bubble is another favourite of mine, was this released before, after or perhaps the same time as Tetsuo Gaiden? Also if anybody gets the chance be sure to check out the credits on the Tetsuo Gaiden disc, it certainly shows the developers appreciation for old school gaming as Bas points out.

Can you imagine a four player adapter for the CD-i!! With the right invest and time Creative Media could really have made something special for CD-i but we're still left with some fond memories at least. Did Christmas Country (The Lost Levels) ever get into any stage of development Bas or was it simply on the drawing board?

Can't wait for the New Years Edition now :D

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:04 am

Just updated the Christmas Country game page with full scans if you'd like to see the preview covers of Taco’s Toyroom Troopers on the manual. An interesting fact I found whilst exploring the disc was that it's not labelled "Christmas Country" like you'd expect but instead named as "Another X-mas"!!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:16 am

great reference detail devin! It's nice to read how Christmas Country didn't have a real publisher actually! In 1996, Creative Media put up advertisements in cd-i magazine and the Gold Club Magazine. You could transfer money to their own money account (40 guilders = 18 euro) and they would send it to your home. Later on 'The Free Record Shop' got some sort of deal to distribute the Creative Media titles in their shops. But that's for the Netherlands, I don't know how these titles were brought to you in other countries. If they were released properly in other EU countries instead of some importing ones.

After this situation, 'New Frontier' was born.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:14 am

I'm surprised how often you see these games outside of the Netherlands, they even got as far as the USA with pmpro's help!! Would I be right in saying that only Tetsuo Gaiden and Whack a Bubble was released under the New Frontier entertainment label?

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:22 pm

these are the only two I know of, I'm still after some cross-overs to other consoles...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:33 am

It seems the CM history is of high interest to some of you. To answer some questions I will add a chapter soon (=next week) to the page. You'll hear from me.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:54 am

Look forward to it!!

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:47 pm

Oops i totally forgot that! I didn't have the time to write it up but i guess i'll add it to the CIC when next month' column is up. Sorry, but you won't miss the details (which you'll love!)