Micro Machines Exclusive Edition

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Micro Machines Exclusive Edition

Post by Devin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:30 pm

I remember we had a protracted discussion about what made it an "Exclusive Edition". Don't remember if we reached any conclusions but do you think it's because of the inclusion of a 3D sequence showing a view behind the cars animating into a top down angle leading into the game itself? I've included this as one possible explanation on the Micro Machines Game Page in the Game Facts column. Certainly don't remember seeing this feature in other versions of the game on the multiple platform Micro Machines enjoyed.
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"

aghogg
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by aghogg » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Bas wrote:As far as I know, Codemasters never put any time in CD-i Development.
That's not strictly true, as I was the poor sod who actually had to program the CDi conversion from the original NES version :)

Actually, it very nearly didn't even happen as I was the only person in the whole company who was interested in taking it on - CDi wasn't exactly glamorous compared to SNES, Genesis etc.

Anyway, I honestly can't think of anything specific to make it a 'special edition'...

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:04 pm

Great, that's the info it should trigger! Do you mean the whole conversion was taken care for at Codemasters? As far as contacts have assured me Philips handled the conversion of this title, can you share some more light onto this subject?

aghogg

Post by aghogg » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:45 pm

Bas wrote:Great, that's the info it should trigger! Do you mean the whole conversion was taken care for at Codemasters? As far as contacts have assured me Philips handled the conversion of this title, can you share some more light onto this subject?
Micro Machines was almost entirely handled inhouse at Codemasters.

I personally did the programming, converted from the original NES 6502 assembler code (there was some dispute over the 68000 assembler code for the Sega Genesis which would have been SO much more useful on the CDi).

The game graphics, extra level designs and audio were also done inhouse. The FMV sequences were handled by a couple of external graphics guys.

Philips DID provide a lot of support though, via their team in London and their QA facility in Hasselt. So there's no way I'd talk down their involvement in the project.

But as far as development goes... we did it all. I know it's not a perfect conversion, and is a little sluggish, but that machine was NOT designed for multiway scrolling :) Philips asked a couple of times if they could have the source code for it, but I believe we didn't hand it over.

I still have backups of the source, assets and master discs. I was actually only re-archiving them over the weekend, which is how my thoughts turned to seeing if anyone had done a decent emulator yet and is how I found this website/forums :)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:19 am

Well it's a pleasure to have you here. The question simply has to be asked, did you ever reveal you feelings to Kathryn Spencer?

This has been a long running mystery in parts of the CD-i community and I can think of none other than the man himself to answer this question. Bet you didn't expect a few lines of text hidden on a CD-i disc to come back and haunt you 10 years later :wink:

aghogg

Post by aghogg » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:53 am

Hm, interesting. I didn't know the retail disc had this text on it. This would mean that the disc image that got mastered was not the very final one we produced. There was I believe one further disc image produced within one or two days of that one.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:03 am

This was the disc that went into mass production with the text on the disc as published on the Micro Machine Game Page. Under the heading "From the Disc" dated by you on 7th June 1995.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:21 pm

aghogg wrote:Hm, interesting. I didn't know the retail disc had this text on it. This would mean that the disc image that got mastered was not the very final one we produced. There was I believe one further disc image produced within one or two days of that one.
Interesting to know, what had been altered to the game in the last two days..., if it was indeed not the final 'final' version?

aghogg

Post by aghogg » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:26 pm

Bas wrote:Interesting to know, what had been altered to the game in the last two days..., if it was indeed not the final 'final' version?
There would have been no game-related changes in those 2 days. So if anyone's hoping for hidden features or anything, then they'll be disappointed :)

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:29 pm

Ash, were the so say 3D sequences in every version of Micro Machines?

It appears that "Altered Images" were credited with this feature and I rather presumed developed only for the CD-i version?

aghogg

Post by aghogg » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:22 pm

Devin wrote:Ash, were the so say 3D sequences in every version of Micro Machines?

It appears that "Altered Images" were credited with this feature and I rather presumed developed only for the CD-i version?
Yep, there was only one version of the title and the 3D bits were included for all decks. It was a CD-i only feature.

Altered Images were a couple of guys (based in Reading I think) who did the renders for us, it was one of the very first times Codies did this kind of thing so they wanted to test it out cautiously at first. What *was* cool was that Codies had bought a pretty kickass non-linear editing suite for promo work and I got to play with that whilst preparing the video sequences :)

Originally the sequences were intended for the DV card, but then it was decided we wanted to support base case. One of our other freelancers (smart guy called Jon Menzies) wrote a video packer and player just for this project. It was at this point we discovered just *how* much the CD-i's CPU sucked. So the video ended up not quite as slick as we'd hoped, but as good as could be expected for CPU playback on base case.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:44 pm

That must be what makes this an "Exclusive Edition" then :wink:

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:30 pm

Before I start...nice cat!! Is that your own MOG Ash?

Also to let you know i've just uploaded and linked through the Micro Machines game page a video extracted from the CD-online Issue 01 Disc. To me it appears that the footage has been speeded up so that it looks like a fast paced racer. As we know the final release was sluggish compared to other versions, but then again we never expected a multi scrolling racer to be possible in the first place!! Just wanted to know your opinion on this video Ash.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:26 pm

wow that's some smooth footage! It makes me wonder if this is actually cd-i footage!

If it is about cd-i, the video is highly manipulated! it would have been cool (and fun) if it was really that fast on cd-i...

aghogg

Post by aghogg » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:18 pm

Firstly, yes that is my cat... he's big, ginger & white, and very strongminded :)

Secondly, I'm pretty certain that *is* the CD-i footage, but simply sped up timewise. Shame the game never ran at 50/60fps... I do have the source code though, if only I had the time and motivation (and rights) to try to optimise it :)

I might also arrange to get a copy of the final bibliographic file on blackmoon that should have been mastered. For starters, it credits a few more people that deserved it, and it might also set this 'love story' thing straight. That comment is a little out of context so it's a bit unfortunate it got pressed.. Sorry to disappoint anyone, but it wasn't exactly what it may appear to be.

That game was one of the oddest projects I've ever worked on. It's a wonder I still have some sanity left.