Attachments MOD

CDinteractive aims to provide a stable hosting option to all CD-i related websites with a central core of a single forum from which to build a true community around the diverse offerings. To this end if you find any problems with hosted sites or dead links to various sections then please report them here.

Do you want the ability to upload material?

Yes, give it to me now!!!!
67%
No, who cares we already have enough resources posted
No votes
Don't care, either way i'm sitting firmly on the post.
33%

Total votes: 3

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Attachments MOD

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:21 pm

This would be quite a complex MOD to peform on the forums but it might be worth it if people want to upload Scans, Images or Movies as registered posters on CDinteractive. Following is a feature list of what this MOD will allow:
  • Able to add comments to Attachments.
    Automatic Deletion of Attachments if Posts are deleted.
    Editing of existing Attachments.
    Able to Delete/Add/Change Comment and Update Attachments while editing Posts.

Category support (Special behaviour instead of just presenting a link to the attached file)
    • Special behaviour on Images: Thumbnail Support, Image Link Presentation depending on Dimensions, Inline Images.
      Stream Files directly within Posts. Supported Types: aif, aifc, aiff, asf, asx, au, avi, ivf, m3u, mid, midi, mlv, mp2, mp3, mp2v, mpa, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mpv2, rmi, snd, wav, wax, wm, wma, wmx, wmv, wvx.
      Play Flash Files within Posts (Also supports compressed Flash MX Files).
    An image for displaying in front of Attachments and Threads containing Attachments (definable).
    Able to define an Image for Forum View and for every Extension Group.
    Multiple attachments in one post.
    Multiple attachments in one PM.
    Download counter.
    Download Method selectable for every Extension Group.
    Able to display Attachments in Preview Window.
    Able to display Attachments in Review Window.
    User Attachment Control Panel.
    Attachment Limit Box within Private Message Box.
    Attachment Upload Stats in Users Profile.
This would be a massive update to the forums and completely change the nature of them which obviosuly could open them upto obuse. Although I hope the fact people have to register here first before posting would deter these sorts of users. Of course on the upside it could add to the diversity and make this an even more resource rich medium for Philips CD-i.

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:44 pm

People might have very interesting stuff! If it is easy to do i guess this is a real good thing, but isn't it a bit risky for viruses and unwanted software?

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Bas wrote:People might have very interesting stuff! If it is easy to do i guess this is a real good thing, but isn't it a bit risky for viruses and unwanted software?
Not easy to implement and also risky if it is abused!!

Although complete control over how people use it limits any abuse of the system, for instance we can bar members from using it if they upload materials we deem unsuitable. Of course it could be used as a powerful tool in creating a resource rich community. Positives and Negatives towards the case.

tgn_rogue
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by tgn_rogue » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:16 pm

I think its a good idea in general as no matter what you do there are ALWAYS ways that ANYTHING can be abused on the net. Heck I even remember some forum coding having a flaw that by inserting a small ammount of code into the avatar link you could create a super user account.

Devin
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Devin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:30 pm

This ones on hold for the moment. A good idea but in practise alot of work, i'd rather have a submission system so we can vet ceratin things before they are posted!!
Sol Cutter: "I don't think you've acquired the marketed range!"