Christmas Country in recent Electronic Gaming Monthly

Anything relating to CD-i can be discussed in this forum. From the multiple hardware iterations of the system to the sofware including games, reference, music and Video CDs. Maybe you hold an interest in Philips Media and the many development houses set up to cater for CD-i if so then this is the forum.
Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Christmas Country in recent Electronic Gaming Monthly

Post by Trev » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:47 am

Just looking through my holiday 2007 issue, when I noticed an article in the back talking about "...history's worst Christmas games." Not very flattering, but I always get a kick whenever I see info on cd-i, or any other long forgotten console in a current gaming mag.

My question (having never played this title) ... is this game as bad as EGM says?

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:00 pm

No, I don't think so.

Did they even try the game? What are the arguments supporting their claim? Or is it popular cd-i bashing in the same fashion as Defunct Games?

I think I keep my avatar for now :wink:

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:32 pm

Bashing Christmas Country? Bah, that's lame. It's actually a very clever budget platform game, capable of smooth scrolling and a mario style gameplay. It's not polished as The Apprentice, but it has definately its charm. And, what people often forget is that Christmas Country was a budget title available for only 15 dollar at the time.

Would you mind making a scan of that article? (perhaps email?)

Trev
Sum Zero Barman

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Would you mind making a scan of that article? (perhaps email?)
I've been having some trouble w/my scanner recently, but I can try. It is not a very big mention though, just a small paragraph w/one screen shot.

romanoaj
Burn:Cycle Activated

Post by romanoaj » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:49 pm

rdjnl wrote:
Did they even try the game? What are the arguments supporting their claim? Or is it popular cd-i bashing in the same fashion as Defunct Games?
Hey. I write for Defunct Games and take a bit of umbrage with what you call "bashing". Most of the writers for the site look at CD-i games in the larger context of gaming (i.e. all systems). While many of my views are critical of the unit, they have never taken relish in disrespecting it on the whole. If anything, I recognize that the programmers have skills I will never possess and I have the utmost respect for anyone who can write a game--even if its not all that good.

Just wanted to defend my peeps a bit.

P.S. Christmas Country is a very competent game (though I like Christmas Crisis a bit better).
Adam J. Romano
(gamer with not enough time to play games)

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:30 am

Hello Adam, if you've followed the discussion about Defunct Games here, you'll know I actually liked your CD-i reviews being more professional than those of Chad and Tom. Unfortunately, they bash CD-i without proper playing (Those are Chad's own words!) and give irrealistic scores to CD-i games. On the other hand I have to cre dit you for taking CD-i serious and I hope to read more of your CD-i reviews. What's coming next?

romanoaj

Post by romanoaj » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:22 am

Bas wrote:What's coming next?
Hopefully Christmas Crisis. My research for this game is actually what led me to this site. Wanted to do a Christmas Country one but could i am having trouble coming up with screenshots. Next year.
Adam J. Romano

rdjnl
Softech Recruit

Post by rdjnl » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:09 pm

romanoaj wrote:
rdjnl wrote:
Hey. I write for Defunct Games and take a bit of umbrage with what you call "bashing".
Please don't. What I meant is that SOME of Defunct Games' cd-i reviews seem to be written preoccupied with a negative attitude towards the game being reviewed, or even the system. As if they are written with the purpose to spread this feelings, to confirm this 'truth'.

I did NOT mean to judge every Defunct Games' article in one sentence!

Actually, some time ago I read the review of Laser Lords. It's a very nice article. Honestly, it was fun reading it. I see you wrote it. It's very different from Defunct Games' earlier cd-i reviews. A good improvement.
Trev wrote: It is not a very big mention though, just a small paragraph w/one screen shot.
I don't like it: huge claim, little evidence. But it helps to get a discussion going, isn't it?
:twisted: :roll: :wink:

romanoaj

Post by romanoaj » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:03 pm

Now that I've gone back to reread the earlier CD-i reviews, I do see that many do indeed disparage the system. Sorry this thread took a harsh left turn when it was originally about Christmas country.

To get the thread back on track, I just need to ask one question about the game. On the options screen, you are asked if you would like the music "on" or "off". No matter which on I choose, there is no ingame music. Is this the case for other owners of this title.
Adam J. Romano

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:34 pm

There's no in game music, that's true. I'm not sure if it controls the main menu music theme, but for the rest there is no music! I thought the flying scenes had a background music, but I'm not sure. (Maybe it controls SFX as well? I haven't played Christmas Country for a while now.

Alan_Eng
Karmic Church Disciple

Post by Alan_Eng » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Yes Bas you're right - the bonus level flying part of the game features music. I personally love this game - you can speed up and disintegrate blocks (a la Sonic the hedgehog) and some parts of the game are very challenging. Also, there's a secret level select (can you find it?) which is a must.

My all time favourite platform game on cd-i is definitely ''The Apprentice'' which took me around 10 years to complete!!

I think what gives our cd-i it's charm is the fact that it has a cult following and was always ridiculed - but in my opinion those that do ridicule it do not understand it and are missing out on the gems that cd-i produced.

I'll get off my soapbox now and hopefully see you soon!

Alan

Bas
CDinteractive Admin

Post by Bas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:39 pm

That level Select feature in Christmas Country can be activated in the first level, when you jump over the first door instead of entering the door. At the end, jump on the wall to find an alternate ending, you'll go back to the main screen and voila, choose a level!

So, that was my spoiler-of-the-day. I love that game, too.